Once it comes to “12C HID device (code 10)”, corruption in the device driver is the number one suspect and you may want to uninstall then reinstall the drivers. Other solutions include updating drivers, rolling drivers back, resetting the touchpad, deleting upper and lower filter values and performing a repair upgrade. Read to the end to put devices on your computer to good use.
What Must Be Done
Uninstall And Reinstall Driver
- Step 1: Press the Windows key + X to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Step 2: Select Device Manager then hit the arrow beside Human Interface Devices.
- Step 3: Right-click the malfunctioning 12C HID device then select Uninstall device.
- Step 4: Check the checkbox next to Delete the driver software for this device, hit Ok to confirm your choice then close everything afterward.
- Step 5: Restart your device and Windows will automatically reinstall the driver.
If the reinstallation fails to address the error, you can update them from your manufacturer’s official site.
- Step 1: Launch your browser then visit the website of the device’s manufacturer.
- Step 2: Go to the drivers’ download page then download the download drivers for 12C HID device.
- Step 3: Double-click the setup file then follow the onscreen prompts to install the driver.
- Step 4: After you finish, restart your computer then see how things turn out.
If you faced this error after updating your device drivers, you will have to roll back to the version where everything was working fine.
- Step 1: Press the Windows key + R to open Run.
- Step 2: Type devmgmt.msc then hit Enter to open the Device Manager.
- Step 3: Hit the arrow beside Human Interface Devices then right-click the malfunctioning 12C HID.
- Step 4: Select Properties then go to the Driver tab.
- Step 5: Click Roll Back Driver then follow the onscreen instruction to roll back your driver.
- Step 6: Once done, restart your computer and determine whether the issue persists.
- Step 1: Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Step 2: Select Devices then go to Touchpad.
- Step 3: Click Additional mouse settings and on the next window go to the Device Settings tab.
- Step 4: Pick Settings, hit Defaults then confirm your choice.
Delete Upper and Lower Filter values
You can solve this error by making changes in the Registry Editor but it is key to follow the steps down below to the letter. Making an error in the Registry might lead to various problems.
- Step 1: Type Regedit in the Search bar, right-click Registry Editor and choose Run as administrator.
- Step 3: It is always recommended to create a backup of files in the Registry Editor. To create a backup, choose File, select Export, and save the backup in a safe location.
- Step 3: Navigate to the left panel then click the arrow next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Step 4: Double-click CurrentControlSet then go through the following subkeys Control\Class.
- Step 5: Hit the arrow beside Class to expand the components in it.
- Step 6: From the list, determine the right Class GUID for your hardware device. Each class represents the type of hardware device from the Device Manager. In our case, double-click 4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318
- Step 7: Look to the right panel the right-click both UpperFilters and LowerFilter while hitting Delete.
- Step 8: Close the Registry Editor then restart your device.
In the event of corrupted system files, performing a repair upgrade will put an end to the corruption.
- Step 1: Open your web browser, visit Microsoft’s official website then go to the Downloads page.
- Step 2: Scroll down then hit the Download Tool Now button below Create Windows 10 installation media.
- Step 3: After the download is complete, follow the onscreen instructions to finish the installation.
- Step 4: Open Media Creation Tool, read the terms and conditions, check the box beside I accept the terms then click Accept.
- Step 5: Select Upgrade this PC now and choose Next.
- Step 6: When the Windows download is complete, check your preferences like keep personal files and apps then hit Install.
- Step 7: Choose the account you want to sign in with then accept the privacy terms.
- Step 8: Sign in to your account and your Touchpad should be working as normal.12C HID Device (Code 10): Possibilities
The Root Of The Problem
Overall, drivers act as a communication medium between components and the operating system. Thus, the drivers in essence tell your computer when and how to use the components. For smooth communication, the drivers must not be damaged, corrupted, missing, or out of date. Hence, regarding 12C HID device (code 10), you should take drivers into account.
Corrupted System Files
Generally speaking, system files could become corrupted for many reasons: incorrectly shutdown, unexpected power outages. As long as corruption exists in system files, you should run into a series of problems on your computer.
To get the most out of your PC, Windows allows you to apply changes to many settings. Still, if you mess up the settings, 12C HID device (code 10) is one of the consequences.
Which Is An Example Of A Human Interface Device?
On Windows, a human interface device is a medium in which humans interact with a computer by either inputting data or providing output. They could be connected to the computer via a USB port or Bluetooth. The most common types of HID devices include keyboards, mice, computer speakers, webcams, headsets, trackpads, and gaming controllers.
Is It Better To Use A Mouse Or A Trackpad?
About ease of use, touchpad requires a little space to work and all movements on the touchpad could be executed with the tip of a finger. A mouse requires additional room to move but in terms of productivity, it’s handy since you may move quickly. The precision that the mouse delivers helps a lot as well.
- When things turn south, always perform a restart before trying other troubleshooting solutions.
- Before using an HID device, check for compatibility and manufacturer instructions.
- Update Windows as soon as an update is available.